Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dar Es Salaam

I arrived safely in Dar Es Salaam. Staying the night here in one of their more posh hotels, the Kilimanjaro Kempinski (courtesy of a discount rate by the Touch foundation), then leaving at 830am for the airport.

A few thoughts:

The Nyerere International Airport here in Dar is everything I thought it would be: chaotic and frenetic in a sort of harmless way. Taxi drivers swarmed around me. They tried to lead me to an exchange counter with a poor rate. But once they started to pick up that, while I am certainly mzungu I did come with a plan, they backed off. Skylink Tanzania helped hold my bags for a bit while we waited for the shuttle.

The Hotel is amazing. Definitely earn their 5 stars. I wish I hadn't bundle packed my gym gear, but I still might try to hit the treadmill for a bit tomorrow morning. Great food. really cool lounge on the roof; I look forward to coming back here in 5 weeks and staying for a few days while I explore Dar.

Finally, the ride between the airport and the hotel- those who live in the US and were born post-great depression know not the extremes of poverty that exist here. the juxtaposition of shiny new banks and manufacturing centers with mud paths, massive groups of unemployed Tanzanians, and small rickshaws is impressive. I am sure this will be even more apparent in Mwanza.

REALLY finally- Tanzanian beers are light, a bit more flavorful but reminiscent of American lagers such as Budweiser and coors. I've tried Kili Serengeti lager and Tangu Safari Lager. Safari is a superior brew.

New photos of my time here in the hotel and in dar being uploaded as we speak- http://www.flickr.com/frankis/

--
Swahili word of the day: Mzungu- foreigner, and particularly a Caucasian foreigner. However, it is said that it does not carry a negative connotation.

2 comments:

  1. Mgood to read your mblog, Mzungu.
    I was mparticularly interested in myour review or the local mbrews. Safari sounds mmm mmm good.
    I'll have to ask for one of those the next time I'm at Fridays with your Uncle Mboko.
    .W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Safari is def. my fav of the three local brews I have tried so far. A true lager, it's a touch darker with considerably more flavor. The Tusker and the Kili are a bit lighter but enjoyable. And I actually have come to not like the Serengeti. Tastes like budweiser.

    Alas, there is no tanzanian/african stout, my favorite type of beer.

    ReplyDelete