Tuesday, March 10, 2009

T.I.A.

Not to be lame and quote a Leonardo DiCaprio movie, but knowing the phrase "This is Africa" actually has some utility here. It helps to set the mood, to generate a basic ruleset for all sorts of interactions and operations here. Most things here, inside and outside of Bugando Medical Center, happen at a speed that can be a bit numbing for an east-coaster such as myself, and many of my colleagues here. Time slows down. Things that should happen tomorrow take four more days (laundry instantly springs to mind, as I just finished counting the remaining pairs of boxers I have, hoping that I will have enough pairs to get me through the safari this coming weekend). The exact reasons for this are unclear. Perhaps it is the synergy of the oppressive daytime heat, the often-lacking infrastructure, and an intentional slower pace.

Regardless, knowing the phrase TIA to help us mzungus cope in times of stress has proven vital, as we try to re-arrange flights, check luggage, book hotels, etc.

--

On to more personal news: I am still waiting for more information to trickle in about the drama back home at Cornell Medicine. It sounds very serious, however. I don't know how much I am allowed to talk about yet, and as soon as I get word that it has become public knowledge, I'll be sure to discuss my feelings on the issue.

Safari in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro are this weekend. We are spending 3 days, 2 nights. the travel will be by a HUMVEE-looking jeep that seats up to 8. At night we will be staying at two lodges. The first night will be at Seronera Lodge and the second night will apparently be at Crater Lodge. Looking forward to it.

Finally, as I approach the last 1.5 weeks of my time here, I am trying to figure out how to plan out my trip to Zanzibar at the end. I think I will end up flying into Dar Es Salaam on March 22nd, try to check my luggage at the Kempinski hotel, then catch a ferry out to zanzibar during the day there. I figure from there I will try to spend one to two nights, likely in Stone Town, then head back to Dar on Tuesday, March 24th. Wednesday March 25h, I begin my trek home from Dar to Dubai.

Time flies, even if this is Africa.

2 comments:

  1. Africa sounds an awful lot like a Philly fast food joint..

    ReplyDelete
  2. (referring to an often-lacking infrastructure and intentionally slow pace)

    ReplyDelete